View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeShaunn View Post
Our plan is to reinstall the oven as I suspect it also provides more stability for the cabinets. But I want to make sure it’s secure as it has already fallen out once. Was wondering if building a support base for the oven would be a good idea.
My somewhat educated (but not expert) guess is YES. A support base should be a great idea.

The range (stovetop+oven) is heavy, it actually hangs from edges of the opening in the countertop. When road movement tries to move it around, it stresses the cabinetry and tends to pull screws out. On one of my earlier TMs, the cabinetry was not sufficiently rigid to hold the weight properly. In my case, the cabinetry was OK back where it was attached to the wall, but the front edges splayed apart enough to allow the range to drop. This damaged the range structure itself, and after it happened more than once, the range was damaged so badly that it was not repairable and had to be replaced.

I am convinced - though I never tried it - that a good solid support under the range, taking the weight down to the floor and off the countertop, would have prevented this. The range would still have to be securely fastened to the wall, and the support structure would have to be rigid enough that it doesn't wobble and deform under load and road movement, the tendency to splay the cabinetry and pull out the screws should go away.

Just my untested thoughts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote