View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
lnussbau

Default Our 2720SL Experience

Our 2006 2720SL doesn't get wet inside in the rain during setup or takedown, nor has it leaked at all, so far anyway. For the two of us, the SL was a much better choice than the straight 2720, since it gives a lot more living space, including an easy chair (granted, it's not a Lazy Boy) -- important if you're stuck inside because of inclement weather.

I find setup and takedown to be about 6-7 minutes, not counting the things you'd have to do with a non-folding trailer, and I can do it in under 4 minutes if I don't use a checklist, but it's a hurry-hurry kind of thing doing that, and I find it's not usually a good idea.

The 2720SL tows fine, under most conditions, with my 2003 Sport Trac, essentially an Explorer, so pretty much like your Mountaineer, using a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH). I do wind up getting slow (35-40 mph) climbing some of the steeper grades (6-7% plus) in the Colorado mountains, but otherwise no problems -- steep downhill isn't a particular problem, other than the extra weight tends to want to push your speed a little higher than it would with no trailer, but brakes work fine and engine braking helps.

DW got me a EU2000 Honda generator (actually an inverter), and it's pretty quiet (but still noticeable in a quiet campground), so with a couple of extra gallons of gas we can have AC in a dry camp. I tried it in my driveway using the air conditioner on low cool, and it seems to work fine (turn off eco throttle, though), but I started with low fan, then to low cool after the fan was up to speed, and I'd not want to run a microwave, coffee pot or toaster at the same time. I do have the high altitude jets, and I'd not really expect it to do this at 9,000 feet, but there'd be less need at that altitude anyway.

Again, the interior won't normally get wet during setup/takedown, though I can see how if you had a strong driving rain from the rear that a little might get in -- there's a LOT of overlap between the two shells, and the seals between the two aren't a problem at all when set up or in towing configuration.

Also, with the swing tongue, I can fit the TM in my garage (7 ft. door, 2" clearance) for storage -- anything larger wouldn't quite make it lengthwise.

Hope this helps.