View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
utahsue

Default Verizon + Motorola = Internet

I use my regular Verizon cell phone service, along with a Motorola phone, an external antenna, and a Wilson signal amplifier and am able to get Internet service almost anywhere. I don't use National Access, but instead just the regular America's Choice plan and get good enough speeds to get my e-mail. Sometimes it's pretty fast and sometimes it's quite slow, but if you have patience (night and weekend minutes are free!) you don't need to spend too much extra money if you already need a cell phone anyway. The cable and software (modem driver) costs about $20 on eBay or $40 or so in the Verizon store.

One thing I did find is that the external amplifier blew the daylights out of my LG VX3200 phone twice in a row and I had to switch back to a Motorola. A guy at the Verizon store told me (off the record) that Motorola phones seem to do better with external antannas and amplifiers.

If you are thinking about using an "air card" (a PCMCIA device that acts as an antenna) be aware that they do not accept external antennas so you cannot boost the signal. For me that is not an option, given that I camp in the west in the mountains, so I will stick to my phone. It's less expensive and allows me to combine my voice and data minutes - they give me 450 per month with nights and weekends free, so I have more than enough.

UPDATE JULY 2006: I just learned that Verizon is phasing out the ability to use your cell phone as a modem unless you sign up for National Access at $60 per month. This is in addition to the $40 per month for the basic voice plan. New customers will not be able to connect to the Internet if they only have the America's Choice plan. The sales representative said that those older customers who are still connecting to the Internet on their voice plans will eventually get "caught" and won't be allowed to do this anymore. So if you are one of those old customers who can connect to the Internet without National Access and are thinking of upgrading your phone or renewing your contract, you may want to consider keeping that old phone and remaining on a month-to-month contract after your original one expires. It sounds like calling attention to yourself is not a good idea.