View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default An Update and primer on high speed cellular services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Do a Search (Advanced Search) on keyword "Internet" by poster "RockyMtnRay". You will find all you need to know.

Bill
Some additions to earlier posts on using a cellphone as a wireless modem.

Last summer I subscribed to Verizon's "National Access" (technically the CDMA "1X" service) higher speed service and was extremely satisfied with it. Transmission speeds were typically around 70K to 90K (in other words, about 1.5 to 3 times as fast as you will get with a land line dial up modem). The really great thing about this service is it's available everywhere (and I do mean EVERYWHERE) that Verizon has a digital signal. And I've found that Verizon has a digital signal in even really remote areas. To utilize this service, I bought a new cellphone (Motorola V710) which is not only a great cellphone (all the bells and whistles including camera) but is also "1X" capable. I also bought an access kit from Verizon which included a cable for connecting my laptop to this cellphone and the software needed to make it all work. Last year, Verizon had 3 levels of data plans...which are in addition to the regualar voice plan...namely 20 MB/month @39.95, 60 MB/month @ $69.95, and an unlimited plan @ $79.95 per month. I chose the 20 MB/month plan. With frugal use of the cellphone for data...which was mostly to connect back to my database servers to check on their status plus selective email downloads (I use the Pegasus email client which lets me check the email headers on the email server and download only the messages I really need to see) plus frugal websurfing (mostly checking the NOAA forecast sites), I was able to stay under 20 MB/month (my schedule last summer was 3 night/4 day camping trip every 3 weeks).

Verizon also has a super high speed data service they market as BroadBand Access (technically known as "EVDO"). This is currently available in only about 80 some metro areas...but not outside of these metro areas...and offers true broadband (DSL) speeds of 400 to 700K. And the pricing isn't bad either...unlimited usage for $59.99 (on top of the voice plan cost). However, in addition to no availability in all but the specific metro areas, you also have to buy a special EVDO wireless PCMIA card for your computer. But a side benefit of having the BroadBandAccess plan is that it also gives access to the NationalAccess (1X) system

I believe that Sprint subscribers can also tap into both Sprint's and Verizon's "1X" network since Sprint also uses the CDMA technology.

For the Cingular subscribers (who have a GSM phone), there is Cingular's EDGE network. It is a bit faster than the CDMA "1X" technology with roughly 100K speeds, but is limited to within mostly metro areas and along some major Interstate routes. Hence not nearly as widely available as the CDMA "1X" system but more availlable than the Verizon EVDO system.

Although I normally avoid RV Parks like the plague, I sucked it up last summer and stayed in 3 different RV Parks because they advertised they had "Wireless Internet" (via WiFi). What I found is that the WiFi would only work in these "Parks" if I took my laptop to within about 50 feet of whereever they had installed their single WiFi access point antenna. I might add that I have an SMC WiFi card with ultra high power tranmsitter/receiver that can readily get a solid signal on my home WiFi network from over 100 feet away (and through several walls). Since I mostly use the Internet for work/business purposes while traveling and really need to have my computer next to my work materials inside my TM, these RV Park "Wireless Internet" offerings were totally useless to me. Which compounded the absolute misery of being in an RV Park.

So although RV Park WiFI was useless for my needs last year, I was invariably able to get a solid connection to the Verizon NationalAccess network from within my TM. And I was able to do this in quiet/spacious/pleasant Forest Service and State Park campgrounds as well as the incredibly noisy and jammed cheek-to-jowl RV Parks.

For the 2006 travel season, I'm vowing to totally avoid all RV Parks (and their probably poorly installed WiFi systems) and just depend on the Verizon NationalAccess (1X) service for all my Internet connection needs in Forest Service and State Park campgrounds. Unlimited good to very high speed access at $59.99/month from just about everywhere sounds mighty fine to me.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote