Thread: OLD TM in paper
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the A/C and refrig don't work, and need to be "recharged", that means they have lost their freon - the original charge of freon has leaked out. If a new charge of freon is all they need, then it is a little expensive, since they undoubtedly need the old freon (called R-12, I think). The old freon can be had, but it carries a hefty premium these days (I just recharged the A/C in a '93 Saab). The new freon (R-134a?) is not quite so expensive, but you can't just substitute the new stuff in a system that was built for the old.

Beyond that, the fact that the old freon has leaked out probably means that the refrigeration tubing has corroded and has one or more pinhole leaks. Although a good refrigeration guy can find and repair a leak, you can be sure that there are more pinholes waiting in the wings. As a practical matter, a relatively old A/C and refrig that have lost their freon probably have to be replaced. And they cost several hundred dollars each.

If you proceed with the purchase, be prepared to replace them and hope that you don't have to. If the present owner tells you that my diagnosis is full of farina, ask him to back up his statement with a one-year guarantee - you will pay for an initial recharge, but if either one loses its freon again within a year, he pays to replace the unit. If nothing else, it's a good sincerity test.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote