View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default TM has many significant differences/advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside
We loved our tent trailers but gave them up because of safety/security issues but once stayed for 5 1/2 months and during that time decided that if we had a shower and a real refrigerator that it would have been perfect. Has anyone had experience with both and how much does the experience differ? Thanks, Cathy
As Bob notes, several of us either owned or rented tent trailers before buying a TM. There are several significant differences in the experience, namely:
  • Hard walls/glass windows vs canvas/plastic windows. Beyond the obvious issue of security, the 1 inch thick insulating foam in the TM's walls (and roof) makes a huge difference in temperature control, particularly if the outside temperature is fairly cool (50s and lower). Much of the camping I do is at high altitude where the nightime temperatures even in mid summer are often well down into the 30s. The TM stays reasonable comfortable at night without needing constant operation of the furnace, the tent trailer was always very cold.

Furthermore, the solid walls and glass windows provide a substantially greater amount of sound insulation from campground noises...screaming kids, generators, etc.

• Holding tank for waste water. Certainly modern tent trailers pretty much equal a TM for fresh water supply (20 gallon tank, pump, water heater, etc.) but tent trailers don't have tank(s) for waste water. A lot of the campgrounds I frequent are looking pretty askance at just letting the dishwater and shower water flow out onto the ground. Technically the stuff is a biohazard and the food particles/soap scum therein can produce a smelly mess. The TM has a 28 gallon grey water tank.

• Toilet type. Although perhaps not as desirable as a true flush toilet/black water tank, the recirculating marine type flushing toilet in TMs is, IMHO, a lot better than the cassette toilets available on top of the line tent trailers.

• Actual bathroom. Having semi-solid walls around an actual bathroom greatly enhances a sense of privacy while showering/using the toilet.

• Refrigerator size. TM refrigerators are about 3.8 Cu Ft...most tent trailers have a 2.5 cu ft refer. That extra volume makes a heckuva difference in utility, for one thing it allows for a freezer compartment (albeit a small one).

• Oven. Tent trailers have a 3 burner stove. TMs have a 3 burner range with oven. I've found the oven in my TM to be a very useful appliance (especially since I do a lot of camping in cool temperatures)...I have baked everything from Lasagna to cakes in it. And when boondocking without electrical hookups, it's a great way to warm up a variety of foods that a microwave normally would be used for. For me, an oven was a "must have" when I was shopping for a trailer back in '02.

• Wardrobe. As I view my TM as a "travel trailer" and not just a "camper", I expect to be able to have a place to actually hang up clothing on hangars inside something that resembles a closet and not just have them stuffed into bags/suitcases...or dangling off some makeshift clothesline. The TM's wardrobe was a major selling point for me.

• Towing stability, ease of setup, etc. As Bob notes above, a TM is inherently sway resistant and tows much, much better than any of the larger tent trailers. If you have to setup/tear down in the rain, the interior stays dry in a TM but will likely be soaked in most tent trailers. TM bed platforms have supports that automatically fold out/in with the beds so no mucking with supports.

The bottom line is a TM is really a folding travel trailer with essentially all the amenities and advantages of a true travel trailer. A tent trailer, even the heaviest, largest, and most luxurious will never be more than a "camper".

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote