View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
kempert
Site Sponsor

Jess-

Good questions. I'll give my 2 cents worth using a format similiar to what Bob used.

#2 - I very rarely go over 60 mph. I don't like the interstates even though the studies show they are safer. I want to see the country! Besides, the tires are not designed for long distance at high speeds. You also get better gas mileage (it's getting more important by the day) by staying under 60. BTW - I pull over and let people by if traffic builds up behind me which usually leads to 5 finger waves versus 1 finger ones.

#3 - I like to "wing it". I use "Good Sam" to plan my basic route and make changes along the way by using the net (public libraries are very handy). This is an amazing country when you go out and look around.

#4 - The only time that I make reservations more than a day or two ahead of time is when there are holidays or special events (or places) going on.

#5 - Walmart is my last resort. I've only been caught twice when I couldn't find anything else. They were both noisy but safe (security cameras and patrols). Not bad considering the scenery.

#6 - Like others, I've learned that the refrig drains your 12v battery in just a few hours. Therefore, I fill the freezer with "blue ice" ahead if time and don't bother with the 12v.

I've had my TM (after 25 years of tent camping) for almost 3 years now. I've towed it over 15k miles and lived in it a total of 4+ months. It has been very enjoyable. News reports on what have been found in motel rooms has reinforced my decision to buy versus rent a place to sleep.

I'm getting ready to post some info from my latest trip to FL. Hopefully, it will be informative and entertaining.

KemperT

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote