View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Windbreaker

I think Leon's answer was a good one. I would add that in this time of crazy folks running around I would be hard put just to pull off the road to sleep. A roadside park, maybe, if busy and well lit. About the only state I've been to where I had a hard time finding a CG was OK, and even there you could find them if you had enough RV guides. If you stick mostly to interstates there are always lots of CGs, if you plan on traveling the small back roads that may take some planning.

We travel the back roads mostly and have found ourselves on some very narrow roads but have always found a place to park for the night (sometimes we got up and out very early the next morning).

I would not put the wife 100' back, use flairs/reflecters, give the wife a cell phone to stand way to the side. That way she can call 911 if the Freightliner takes you for a free ride.

If you don't know if you will like camping or not you must try it before you buy!!! And remember there is a sharp learning curve for most folks who have never towed/driven an over sized RV before. (btw, there are lots of roads that cannot handle the 100"+ wide rigs I think the entire state of NJ is off limits to those.)

My suggestion would be, rent a small unit, try it out on a few short trips, spending 2+ nights out. If you like it in general you will have a better idea as to what you would like in a unit and be aware of some of the pit falls.
We try to stay on better roads (if we don't know the area), park the unit and explore the area. Then if we find a wanderfull out of the way place we can always move there or camp there the next time we visit the area.