View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Propane tank bracket rusted loose

I was just doing a few housekeeping things on my TM, when I happened to notice that the collar on the back end of my horizontal propane tank (which would be the bottom collar on a vertical tank) rusted and cracked apart right where the mounting bracket is welded to the collar. A few other welds attaching the collar to the tank have also rusted/broke loose, such that now the only thing holding the back bracket to the tank is one weld joint about 1/4" - 1/2" wide. The tank definitely has some play back and forth on the mount, so I am a bit concerned about going anywhere with it.

Replacement horizontal tanks are pricey -- about $150 from what I've found. I thought possibly about getting it rewelded, but I'm not sure if that's cost effective. They'd had to pull the valve I'd imagine before they'd weld it, and then the tank would have to be recertified before anyone would refill it.

Any ideas? Has anyone had to replace theirs yet?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote