Thread: Battery tender
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 09:44 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

OK, found my notes, and discovered that some years ago, TM made a small change in the 12-volt charge line wiring. The new arrangement makes charging through the Bargman a bit different, but not really difficult.

The Early picture in the sketch below, redrawn from the 2002 Owner's Manual, shows the wiring in my 2002 and 2006 TMs. The 12-volt charge line from the Bargman goes directly to the battery. A second wire goes from the battery, through the main fuse, and out to the TM circuits. This means that if you pull the fuse to isolate the battery, the connection to the Bargman remains intact and you can charge the battery through it.

In the Later picture, redrawn from the 2008 Owner's Manual, the 12-volt charge line goes to a metal terminal strip in the converter, and then onward to the battery through the main fuse. If you pull the fuse, the battery is disconnected from everything, including the 12-volt charge line. Now simple charging through the Bargman doesn't work. The answer is to leave the fuse in place, and use a somewhat larger Battery Tender to carry the parasitic loads. A unit rated for 2 or 3 amps should be adequate.

My apologies to anyone who was misled by more recent posts on how to do charging through the Bargman. I was not aware that TM made this change.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM maintainer.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	22865  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote