View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We just got back from Pt Mugu and I took a pic that might help clear up the installation.

I found that these panels are quite effective on the roof. The 2nd pic shows that while the Sun was only about 10 degrees above the horizon, the panels were charging at 13.65V.

We used electricity at will all weekend. It was in the low 40's (at night) and we ran the furnace all night both nights. Brewed 2 pots of coffee with the electric coffee pot running 1200W off of the inverter for 8 minutes per brew. We also popped a few bags of popcorn in the microwave. At about 3:PM on Saturday afternoon I had to unplug the panels because the batteries were at 15V (2- Trojan T105, 6V golf cart batteries).

I had temporarily wired the panels with a 16G electrical extension cord, just for this trip. I wanted to get an idea of the true operating conditions before completing the wiring installation.

BTW, Bill....The panels are mounted on legs. I have them about 1.5" off of the roof. I put felt on the bottom of all the legs and they slide quite nicely on the roof.