View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM Pilot View Post
Filling a rim to 65psi that is only rated to 50psi may not produce a dramatic, catestrophic blowout hole through the metal rim. However, over time it may deform the rim just enough to be an additional link in a tire failure chain. The deformation may not be noticable to the naked eye or felt while driving. Measuring a rim without the tire mounted using the proper tools may reveal hidden defects. Same principle applies after blowing a tire - Get your rims inspected for defects and make sure the tire "professional" uses measuring tools and not just his eyeballs to be certain the rim in still in spec!

Dave, do you still have your old 14" rims laying around? If so, might be interesting to put a carpenter's square on them and see what it says.
I agree with you to an extent, and frankly, I had not even considered that rims had a pressure limit until you mentioned it in this thread. But I personally am not concerned about the debate because I have 15" wheels.

I don't have my old 14" rims. My last 14" blowouts were in Colorado in the middle of a transcontinental trip, and since I didn't have room to take 3 rims with me, the tire shop kept/scrapped them. Of course, this was also on a Sunday afternoon, when few tire distributors are open. Did I mention how blowouts can really ruin your day?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote