View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Why is my wheel not centered in the wheel well?

Just picked up my 2000 2720SL, and made a 5,000 mile road trip from the Carolinas, up through Canada, across the badlands, and home to Southern California. Had a fabulous time until we had a blowout on the door side 20 miles from home. And I was planning on doing the wheel well modification as soon as I got it home, but it beat me too it. No major damage, although the wheel wheel needs a fair amount of attention. However, that brings me to my question:

-- on the door side, the wheel is off center with respect to the wheel well. In fact, it's fairly close to the rear protruding frame member to which the box is attached. I don't see this on the other side, and I noticed it before the blowout. I checked underneath, and I don't see physically how this could have happened post manufacture. The axle doesn't appear to be bent, and since the axle is bolted to the frame in a fixed manor, the axle can't slide. And there isn't anything heavy on that side that would be compressing the frame to the wheel, either. This leads me to believe this is how it has been since day 1 -- maybe the wheel well is off a few inches.

Has anyone seen this before? I've attached pics. I guess it isn't a huge deal, but there sure isn't alot of clearance between that tire and the frame member.

This being the first time I've pulled the trailer, it may be tracking a bit ahead on the right side, which isn't consistent with the right wheel being too far back. It appeared the way in the McKesh mirrors, but in my OEM mirrors, it appeared straight, so I'm not sure if it is an illusion.

The first image is of the offset door-side wheel.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorSide.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DumpSide.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1992  
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote