View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #36
jjplumley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbug View Post
If you have a truck that is itching for some upgrades, now you may have an excuse for adding a front receiver hitch to assist in backing (er, pushing) in the trailmanor. ....

Yep - in addition to getting the TM in the garage, a front hitch would also allow us to carry a bike rack in front when towing the TM. I actually ordered one, but Amazon lost it and told me to wait a week to see if it arrives. It never did and by then, they raised the price $40 and it was backordered, so I lost interest. I'd lose my front tag and camera as well with a front hitch, and it's a 3-4 hour job on my F-250.

As an update, we've been on a couple trips since this thread was started, and I got it in & out of the garage successfully, each time removing the awning and garage door side trim. But, with an inch-and-a-half of clearance on each side, it was only a matter of time before something got dinged. Last trip, an awning bracket got damaged due to a weary driver (me) losing patience after 10 minutes of failed attempts to get it lined up perfectly, and I rushed a bit. (I can back a trailer pretty dang well, the issue is that since the hitch (the pivot) is behind the rear axle, the front of the trailer moves right, temporarily, when backing left, left, and vice-versa. Therefore, the entire rig has to be backed perfectly straight as the TM passes through the opening. Doable, but frustrating, especially in the rain).

We had a manual trailer dolly, but with the slope of our driveway, it's impossible to use (and was overloaded). Also, was dangerous (no brakes!).

Since the mishap, I bought a used ParkIt 360 B3, the big 10,000 lb capacity version with trailer brake controller ($3400 new!) which should solve our problems, but I have yet to try it out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parkit.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	20289  

2006 TrailManor 2619
jjplumley is offline   Reply With Quote