View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Geoffrey Card

Smile Back from Alaska

I would like to correct the record on a few comments that I have read on this site during the past two years.

Firstly, the Toyota Highlander is suitable for towing a TM 2619. Our 05 Highlander is the V6 model and came complete with the towing package and I use a WDH for all journeys. During the past 18 months my wife and I have completed several long trips with our TM from our Minnesota home, including one last year of 3,500 miles + to Colorado and New Mexico and we have just returned from a two month 9,300 mile adventure to Alaska. We have driven of smooth highways, gravel surfaces and miles of frost damaged surface on the Alaska Highway. Our TM weight ready for the road is a little under 2800lbs and we normally cruise at 60-65mph seldom dropping below 50mph on long climbs. You do not require a V8 gas guzzler to tackle long road trips with a TM2619 and I would imagine a 2720. The Highlander pulls the load very easily provided you disengage the cruise for hilly terrane and keep the engine in a rev range of 3,000-4,500 rpms. I have never, even on hot long climbs had the temperature gauge move from its normal position. On our trip to Alaska we averaged a little over 18 miles per US gallon.

Secondly, with a little care and preparation you can tow your TM to Alaska, which involves travelling the 1,400 + mile Alaska Highway (the ALCAN), without fear of 'trashing' either your TM or tow vehicle. Before departing for Alaska I fully serviced our 02 Trailmanor including the wheel bearings and brakes and also installed new tires and battery. I took the precaution of wiring any loose cables and securely bolting the battery box to the chassis cross member. The only mishap we experienced was a cracked windshield caused by flying rocks from passing trucks and a few paint chips. When we arrived in Anchorage a visit was made to the Toyota dealers and the oil in the Highlander was changed. Additionally, periodically I checked the rig for loose scews and greased the wheel bearings using the pressure grease gun that I carry in the tool kit.

We had a fantastic time on our adventure to Alaska and only once saw another TM. If any TM owners would like more information on visiting Alaska I would be delighted to try and answer their questions.

Geoffrey and Lynda Card
Chaska, Minnesota
05 Toyota Highlader V6 AWD with tow package
02 Trailmanor 2619 with WDH