View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Slide-out floor getting soft

Quote:
Denny -

I love it! You gotta be an engineer, like Oilspot and me! So now, the critical question - have you gone beyond the theory stage?

I'm inclined toward the "three roller solution" myself (a new one at the halfway point), since it avoids relocating the present set. Looks like a pain to install, though - it may require either removing or jacking up the slideout somehow, in order to cut the seal and screw down that third roller. If I have to remove the slideout, I will also consider mounting a length of angle iron along the front lip. Maybe even recessed into the plywood (?).

If/when I do it, and have some results, I'll report back.

Bill
Engineer; as accused - 27 yrs removed from practical application! Aeronautics.

Re the subject: If you look at the slide-out box from ouside, three rollers are seen through slots in the white floppy seal strip, at the bottom horiz. edge. A 4th roller is hidden, since it is mounted about 6" forward of the other three. The rollers are fixed to the floor, the bottom of the box glides over them.

Above for reference so we can agree that we're seeing the same view.

While lying on the ground, looking up at the bottom of the box (in set-up mode), an approximately cubical cut-out allows clearance for the propane tanks. The aft edge of the cut-out (lateral segment) also forms the center portion of the couch's front face. It is, in essence, a fairly substantial stiffiner rib, anchored to the floor with screws, spanning the distance between the inner 2 rollers. Agreed, it is about 18" forward of the rollers, but, nevertheless, affords substantial stability and stiffness to the area in question. The rib runs the entire width of the box. I don't know, or can't determine, what the attachment method is, nor whether it acts as a full span stuctural stiffiner.

Cutting to the chase - I don't see a problem. There's a little give in the floor. Not a problem, IMO. But, having been associated with fixed and rotary winged aircraft for many yrs, I'm used to aeroelastic structures. Strong AND elastic - to absorb sudden loads without experiencing permanent elastic failure.

If you decide to give it a go anyway ( ), this might be the easiest solution. To wit (story first):

One day, whilst in a snit during slide-out opening, I accidently pulled the right side of the box completely off the edge (wall) roller. I was looking into the trailer, betwixt box n' wall. Managed to undo my error.

Which leads me to think that, if the box is opened at a cockeyed enough angle, the same could be done intentionally. The vertical slidout seal then has slipped past the vertical wall seal. With proper support then being provided for the right corner (left looking aft), then by straightening the box again, the left roller (rt facing aft) will support it's side of the box, since it's set about 6" forward of the other 3 rollers.

With the box so arranged, the left still on its roller and the right side safely supported externally, three of the four rollers are visible from INSIDE the trailer. Installing a center roller should then be a snap. that assumes no exotic ( :) installation tools or techniques are required.

Them's my thoughts. Good luck.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote