View Single Post
Old 07-26-2002, 02:19 PM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Slide-out floor getting soft

Quote:
I have a question for slide-out owners. In my unit, the floor in front of the couch has gotten quite soft and flexible. I peeked behind the rubber lip and found that the floor is supported by two little wheels (casters) under the edge of the floor, just behind the lip. These are spaced 1/3 of the way and 2/3 of the way across the edge. However, there is no support under the middle of the floor, and since this is where one normally walks (at least when the tables are up), the floor flexes. The flex has gotten worse, and I am concerned that the floor material (presumably plywood) will come apart.

I have taken to shoving a piece of 1x6 board under the rubber lip, to support the floor, but this is ridiculous. Has anyone else has this problem? Any suggestions?

Bill

Bill,

My wife noticed the above phenomenon before I did. I never thought of it as a problem; rather a solution.

The problem, it seems to me, seeking a solution, was how many rollers should be used to assist the MANUAL operation of the slideout. Too few and the floor would sag unacceptably. Too many and the unit may be more difficult to open and close than the LEAST able of the envisioned purchasers could manage. So 2 rollers and 3 rollers were probaly not workable (expense of materials needed to limit sag), and 5 rollers, although solving any sag problem, might have increased, above an acceptable limit, the forces needed to operate. Therefore (IMHO) four rollers (2 on the edges, and the 2 at 1/3, 2/3 length) met three objectives.  1. Flex is noticable, but not enough to result in eventual failure. / 2. Operating forces are within predetermined limits. / 3. Construction cost is contained.

Just my thoughts. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Denny_A

Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote