View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #29
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The answer, of course, is that it can't. But as I mentioned in an earlier post in another thread, the system can mimic the same action by applying unequal braking to the tow vehicle's rear wheels. As the tongue of the trailer tries to move back and forth, the tow vehicle's braking system can apply unequal braking to its own wheels.

Think of it this way. If the trailer tongue tries to move to the left, it tries to move the rear end of the tow vehicle to the left. This has the effect of trying to make the tow vehicle's left rear wheel speed up, while at the same time slowing down the right rear wheel. If the braking system detects this, and applies more braking to the left wheel, it resists the movement of the trailer tongue, thus reducing sway.

More sophisticated systems (Traction Control?) can go one step further, by braking the left wheel while applying a bit of engine power to the right wheel. But unbalanced braking alone is quite effective.

Hope this makes sense.

Bill
So, Bill, do you think this built in sway control on the Toyota is enough for towing a Trailmanor? My husband and I are undecided.