Thread: Towing Basics
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchmel9719 View Post
One more question,

Will the scan-gauge 2 monitor transmission fluid temp even though I currently only have a "high-temp" light? If the truck is already monitoring the temperature, why dont I have a gauge?

Jason
Good question but then again, the ScanGaugeII has about 25 available gauges. I don't know how many people would understand what the gauges were saying and I would think that most people wouldn't care for the F-17 cockpit look....
http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIPPING-Sc...item3a56cafd0c

It displays 4 gauges (of your choosing) at a time. I have mine set to display real time MPG, Avg MPG, Eng temp and trans temp (TFT). I can also manually scroll to any other gauge with the touch of a button. Trans fluid temp is not available on all vehicles.

The instrument is easy to install, it just plugs into the diagnostic port under your dash. It comes with Velcro pads to mount it nearly anywhere.

Be careful about having someone change you over to synthetic ATF. It may be best to do it yourself or with the help of a mechanical friend. If you are interested, I can give you instructions for doing it right. Most shops will try to sell you a trans flush. I don't recommend doing that.

For changing over to synthetic engine oil, I would suggest buying the oil and appropriate filter from Autozone or similar high volume parts store. Take the stuff to you mechanic and ask his to use it.

Most places will do an oil change fr about $30-$40 including regular oil and filter. If you ask for a synthetic change-over, the price often goes over $100.

The oil is $7 a qt x 5qts is = $35. If you buy a synthetic quality filter (~$12). That's about $47. I would ask the shop to do it for $30, using your supplies. It's only about $77 that way. You can go 10K miles on synthetic but I would recommend 5,000-6,000 towing (that's double the miles of a regular oil change)