View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Vehicle Weight Ratings

This issue is danced around in several threads but I thought that it might be helpful to have a thread that directly addresses the issue of weight ratings, what they mean and how they pertain to your vehicle when towing.

There are several ratings that anyone that is going to tow should know.

Here is a list of the ratings that come to mind that everyone should know and understand:

GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) -
The manufacturers maximum load weight, in pounds, allowed for the trailer and tow vehicle. This rating includes the total weight of the trailer and tow vehicle plus fuel, water, propane, supplies and passengers. (this will be the hardest and most crucial rating to ascertain).

GVRW (gross vehicle weight rating) -
The maximum a vehicle can safely weigh when loaded, including the vehicle itself, occupants, cargo and optional equipment (including trailer tongue weight on the TV).

Curb Weight
The weight of the vehicle including standard equipment and all fluids. It does not include passengers, cargo or optional equipment.

GAWR (Front/Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating)
The maximum safe load carrying capacity of the front/rear axle system (axle, suspension, wheels & tires) as specified by the manufacturer. Whichever component is the weakest in the system will determine the maximum GAWR.

Trailer Towing Capacity
The maximum weight of a loaded trailer that the vehicle, as equipped, is rated to tow. This assumes that only the driver (68 kg / 150 lbs) and no extra cargo (incl fuel) is in the tow vehicle.

These are each important figures that has safety, legal and insurance related implications for every RVer.

It is important to understand that none of these ratings can be exceeded, either individually or collectively. You can't pick and choose which rating that you want to use. These ratings are legal ratings and can be used against a person in a court of law when determining the fault of an accident and any possible criminal negligence. It will also be used by insurance companies to accept or deny coverage (especially in the event of an injury or death).

To figure your tow vehicles ability to tow, use the following formula:

GCVWR - GVWR (tow vehicle) = the maximum amount that you might be able to tow. You may be able to add to this by carrying less in the TV as long as you don't exceed the GVWR of the trailer.

You must not exceed any of the other ratings, like....tow rating or GAWR (front or rear). You must also not exceed the maximum tongue weight rating for the hitch.

You will notice that there is no mention of HP, torque or cooling capacity. These things are consumer responsibility and are not mandated by law.

The basic principal is that a vehicle must be able to stop within a certain distance (Usually 190' I think) @55MPH. This will vary by state but the reason for the principal is obvious.

I may have left something out or others may want to correct this. That is why I started this thread. Please feel free to disagree with any of my statements. I am not an attorney and I don't claim to be giving legal advice here.