View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default How The Weight Distributing Hitch Works

Ever wonder what the WDH does for you? Ever want to think about what some adjustments might accomplish? Need to re-balance your load to improve weight distribution?

We've talked about WDH's on many threads in this forum, occasionally involving heated conjecture. The WDH calculator spreadsheet analyzes axle weight effects with or without a WDH for any trailer and tow vehicle.

The Scale Calculator spreadsheet takes axle weights from a trip to the scales and calculates tongue weight and margins relative to Gross Axle Weight Ratings (on the driver side door posts) and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (usually on the doorpost or in the Owner's Manual).

For good weights, weigh:
1) All three axles when hitched and ready for the road (your rig, loaded and ready to go).
2) All three axles with the WDH bar chains slacked (simulates what it would be like without a WDH).
3) Leave the trailer in the parking lot and weigh just the two tow vehicle axles (Gets just the TV axles, without the trailer).

(The last time I did this, the Cat Scale had 3 scale segments and the people let me do the first weigh for $10 and the 2 subsequent ones for $1 each)

The scale calculator spreadsheet will figure out the tongue weight, so there's no need to weigh the trailer separately.

Note: The WDH calculator spreadsheet was updated 3-9-12, and the Scale calculator was updated 3-5-12
(Ok, so I'm probably not the first guy who had something working while it was spread all over the bench, and then screwed it up by accident while trying to make it pretty)
Attached Files
File Type: xls Mr_Adventures_Scale_Calculator.xls (21.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: xls Mr_Adventures_WDH_Calculator 3-9-12.xls (37.5 KB, 103 views)
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote