Thread: Gas Struts
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #57
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
If/when I do this, I would not count on those deckmate screws into that 1x1 wall framing. They may do the job in the short term but I think that (after opening and closing a few times) they may strip out of that soft wood. The sheet metal has almost zero holding power. If you do use those 2.5" deckmate screws, you might want to add another piece of 1x1 hardwood (with pre-drilled pilot holes) on the inside of the wall for those screws to grab onto (acting like a nut). That would also spread the load. You could also run your 1/4-20 floor screws up through that (added) 1x1. That would take care of all of the twisting (and downward) force on the wall.

I think that I would use 1/4" bolts & nuts through the wall frame. I'd use Blue Locktite on all fasteners.
Your method can work, but I'd recommend something "better" along the in inside corner of the the wall and floor. (Perhaps 1x1" metal square tube). I also feel that the deck screws are too weak against bending fores, and would need to replaced by screws or bolts of a larger gauge.

In my case, the main bolts (through the floor) are torqued much tighter than the deck screws, they will handle nearly all the load. I am using Locktite Blue on all connecting nuts