View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
Larry_Loo

Default Re:Over Inflate Tires when storing trailer ?

Ray, you and I are talking about two different things. My comments were directed at what I consider to be a harmful suggestion to elevate the tires completely off the ground with all the stabilizers (or jacks) while you're now referring to supporting the front of the trailer with the front corners' jacks or leveling the trailer with the jacks. In both of the situations that you describe, the tires (and, therefore, the axle) continue to bear part of the weight of the trailer. I agree that these uses of the jacks will not harm the trailer's frame. What I suggested is that it is harmful to the trailer's frame to elevate the trailer's ends with all the jacks to the point that the weight is taken completely off the tires. This is analogous to removing the center posts of the beams in a building and allowing the end posts to bear the weight of the roof and ceiling loads. In time the ceiling and roof will collapse. Likewise, in time you may damage the trailer's frame.

I appreciate the fact that Bill Hulsey is an engineer who knows what he's doing. As a design engineer myself with extensive past experience in designing structural steelwork: elevated platforms, railroad trestles, steel buildings, etc., I am giving you the kind of advice that all design engineers would agree with. Mr. Hulsey can confirm the wisdom of my advice if you want to ask him. ??? ???