View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Over Inflate Tires when storing trailer ?

Well, Larry, I think we first need to move away forever from using the term "stabilizers" when discussing any of the newer TMs (those made with the scissor jacks) such as mine. My manual (2002 edition) no longer has any reference whatsoever to "stabilizers"...they're now solely referred to as "scissor jacks". Furthermore, it clearly states "use the rear scissor jack on the low side to level the trailer side-to-side" (page 12). My trailer has jacks; it does not have stabilizers. The word "stabilizer" (and its associated limitations) is not even part of my TM vocabulary.

It seems to me that Mr. Hulsey (a PhD engineer) (or any other of TrailManor's engineers) do know what they are doing and would not have written that part of the manual (or approved the inclusion of it) if they didn't have complete confidence in the rigidity of the TM's frame to handle loading placed well behind the wheels. Similarly, I seriously doubt they would have approved the use of the swing-away tongue if they didn't have confidence in the use of the front scissor jacks to support the trailer on a long term basis when the tongue jack is raised so the tongue can be swung for storage.

Therefore, I have total confidence in the strength of the TM's frame to remain longitudinally unbowed no matter whether I have it setting on its wheels or setting for 6 months on its rear scissor jacks (which are only about 3 feet behind the axle attachment points anyway). I do recognize that the lateral frame members are not as large (or stiff) as the longitudinal members, so I will attempt as much as possible to use identical height lifts on each side to reduce any torsional forces (particularly since the front of the TM will be sitting on its jacks and not on the tongue).

Your concerns may be valid for your '99 model. I respectfully disagree that they are valid for my 2002 model.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote