View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Philip

Default ST Tire Manufacturers: Any Difference?

Hello Again Folks,

I am just about ready to buy new 15" tires for my 2008, 2720 TM (upgrade from 14" tires). I have purchased the required lift kit from the factory to make this upgrade. All this work is being done, as many others have done, to hopefully reduce the chance of blowouts.

Before I purchase the tires I had a couple questions about the tire selection. I am sure this has been discussed in times past but I would appreciate the forums knowledge repated if possible. Here goes:

1. I have focused on looking at 225/75 - 15" ST tires from Goodyear and Maxxis. As far as I can find out the Goodyear & Maxxis tires come in 6 & 8 ply designs which determine the load carrying capacity. I plan to go with the higher load carrying 8 ply design. Both manufacturers have the same max. capacity(2540 lbs.) at max. pressure(65 PSI). Additionaly the Maxxis has a 10 ply design with a max. capacity of 2830 lbs. at a max pressure of 80 PSI. The cost of the 10 ply Maxxis is only $10 more($105) than the 8 ply. At last(LOL) my question is: Is there any disadvantage to having a higher capacity(10 ply) tire even though you don't really need that capacity? I am of the opinion that a higher margine of excess capacity would result in a lower duty cycle which would reduce the chances of a failure. Opinions are cheap and someone may know of facts that may tell me otherwise. I estimate my TM to be about 3600 lbs fully loaded.

2. I have only looked closely at Goodyear & Maxxis ST tire brands. Does anyone know if one brand of tire is of better overall quality than another? I have seen others on this forum talk about other brands - Kumho, Carlise, Cooper, etc. Is one brand better than another?

I plan to do everything I can think of to reduce my chance of tire failures including steel valve stems.

As always any help from forum members is appreciated.

Take care,

Phil Friess

TV - 2005 Toyota 4Runner with factory tow package
TM - 2008; 2720
Prodigy brake controller
EZ WDH.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote