Thread: Gas Struts
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2023, 05:25 PM   #64
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default TM Trailer floor, incuding the "wood edge", is 3" thick!

My previous "into the sidewall" deck screws felt WOOD all the way up, for both the pilot holes and the too-short deck screws themselves. As it turns out, this was entirely through the floor alone, the short screws never reached the sidewall at all.

I think that my proposed "through the floor, inside from the wall" bolts are unnecessary, the "up into the wall bolts" can handle it all if they are much longer. I am able to buy AWG-10, 4" deck screws in a 10 minute drive to a local big-box store, upgrading from the currently used AWG-9 2-1/2" versions.

I will guess that think my large number of those screws will be sufficient, with no added interior "helper" bolts at all. And, if they they strip out, I can still upgrade these bolt paths into the framing wood by drilling out my L-bar holes, so that they can accept AWG-12 deck screws (an unusual EBAY order with delays) or 1/4" lag screws.

My "100 lb" struts are probably too powerful, but I'm going to try them anyway.