View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 12:20 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default My 'el-cheapo' MPPT controller, handling only the new panel.

My current solar controller (supporting panels which could reach 460 watts under perfect sun, but hardly ever exceed 430 watts at "noon" on most camping days) is fully utilized by those panels.

Even if I were to "upgrade" the MPPT" to be big enough for enough output Amps, the new panel does not match EITHER amperage (series connections) OR voltage ([parallel connections) for any combination of my old ones re-arranged with the new panel on the same controller.

So I planned this rear-shell installation to use a new MMPT solar Controller, dedicated to this panel alone. Voltage of the single panel is very low, only 27 volts upon connection/disconnection by the MPPT.)

I chose a cheap EpEver "XTRA", model XTRA2210N-XD2. It is rated at 20A maximum. At battery voltage, the panel could created barely 13A under perfect conditions, so I'm running at 70% or less.

The heatsink is cheap, but it will probably run cool enough to hide under the high tall portion of the tub (beside or maybe behind the WFCO. There won't be any airflow opportunity, but the heatsink mounting will be into the top of the aluminum floor.

If I blow it up, due to overheating, I can create some venting for a replacement, involving the dual-fan Converter in the lower WFCO section.

Programming will be slightly nasty, but the 'XD2' model does provide a set of buttons for doing that.