View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Suggestions, comments, and concerns

Shane is right. In 1998 models, air conditioning was available as an option, but I'm pretty sure it was located in a kitchen cabinet, not on the roof. That means that the roof was not designed to hold its weight. No guarantee that it would be a problem, but it is not a chance I would take. And there is really no good way to shore up (strengthen) the roof.

In addition, as you suggested, the torsion bars would not lift the weight. You would need at least one pair of new bars, maybe two - and the bars plus their installation is an expensive deal.

You also have to consider how you would get power up to it. I don't think there is any reasonable way to snake a power cable up inside the walls and the roof. This means you would need a cable on the exterior surface - do-able I guess, but not pretty.

Several alternate suggestions are open to you. None is ideal, but one might work for you.
1. Install a cabinet air conditioner, just as it would have been installed as an option in 1998. This would be a standard household window air conditioner, so not expensive. Most likely, the power outlet is already in place in the cabinet, even if your TM did not have the option installed.
2. There has been some discussion of somehow putting in a modern mini-split system. I don't know anything more than that, but you might find it with a Forum Search.
3. Long ago, there was discussion of carrying a portable roll-around air conditioner. The first idea was simply to roll it over to a window as part of campground set-up, and throw the air hose out the window. This doesn't work real well, so I think the discussion moved on to a unit that you set on the ground during set-up, maybe just outside the entry door. You would need a tent of some kind to protect it from the rain, and a new hose to bring the cool air inside - but it would work. I don't think this idea actually went anywhere.

To me, the only practical option is number 1. There was some really good information here on the Forum about how to install one, and how to direct the air to attain max cooling. Wavery, you posted it under your original sign-in name. Do you know where it is?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote