View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #27
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

The leaks I have read on this form, Has been leaks around the vents, AC unit, TV antenna, windows, along the edge of the roof where it is caulked and a few center (fwd/aft) seams. These are common areas for leaks with just about any brand of camper. I think as with most campers you have to do some maintenance. I have not had a leak on my 12 yr old camper. But when inspecting my camper in late spring. I saw some cracking around the one vent, so I re-caulked both vents. I believe I was replacing 12 year old caulking.

As skip said. Where the camper meets there are 2 seals. Very large bag seals that are about 1-2 inches high. One on each selection, making it almost impossible for water to get past the first seal and up and over the the second seals. I don't think I have read of anyone that had a leaks at these seals. But as with anything, I'm sure someone has had an issue.

Putting up the camper in rain. The front shell when up has about a 4 foot overlap when raised over the bottom shell when it's down. Plus the bottom shell at the front has that 1-2 inch bag seal to stop any water that might flow forward. So the rain would need to be really blowing up and under the front at 40+ mph to get past the lower roof when the front is up and the back is down. I would not try to rise the roof in 40+ mph rain. Just as any camper I have owned; I will sit it out if its a downpour before I get out of the TV to setup any camper.

The only thing that I could see that could happen if the rain was blowing under the front when it was up and the rear was down. Maybe some rain could get on the either of the rear walls of front section side walls. This may require you quick wipe down down the the wall above the stove and sink when you were completed. But I have not experienced this any of the times I have set up in the rain.

So I think what your hear is mainly from other camper sales people trying instill fear. Yes, a few people have had issues with leaks with new campers, but every camper brand out there a few people have had issues with leaks with a new camper. But it's not the norm.

PS: I have had leaks on all 4 of my none trailmanor campers in the in the common areas. To date I have not had a leak on the TM.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote