Thread: Maxxis Tires
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Post what it REALLY says....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampcourt View Post
There is a load and inflation table in the article.....the Maximum speed rating for every tire is 65 miles per hour. There are seven sizes shown, from ST175/80R13 to ST235/80R16. from B through E load ratings if this is the best trailer tire and they tell us that the maximum speed should be 65 MPH, there are some of you out there going too fast! (If you have ever driven in California, the max speed for any vehicle towing is 55 MPH....probably for a good reason)!
I know that time is a major factor for those of you who aren't retired, and you won't get as far at 65 MPH max, but you will be getting to your destination more safely.
Hi ya kids, hi ya....
So here is what the article says....Trailer Life...September 2016...page 43...3rd paragraph....

"While the tires are engineered to run faster than 80 MPH, the company limits its speed rating to 65 MPH, in accordance with agreements with the Tire and Rim Association." Then the article offers from Maxxis a disclaimer for what I am sure is liability purposes...it goes on to say...."Exhaustive testing assures confidence in saftey, but should not be considered a free ticket to pull a trailer faster than 65 MPH. Traveling at greater speeds is unsafe and not encouraged".

Well why should they encourage anything other than "BUY OUR TIRES" for liability threat. Of course they wouldn't! I can tell you this...believe it or not, I spoke directly with the folks at Maxxis and they told me that "if you raise the pressure up 5 extra pounds you can safely travel at 5 more MPH. This is according to the weight of your trailer and the inflation of the tires". Obviously if your inflation is maxed out you can't do this, but if your inflation is at say 65 psi (with a maximum inflation of 80 psi @ max load) then you could go to 70 psi and then go 70 MPH.

Last fall I took a trip out to the west coast and went about 72 MPH all day long, and never had one ounce of trouble. My Maxxis 225 75R 15's stayed cool according to my tire monitor and held their pressure perfectly. Now for liability purposes I am NOT saying you can go a zillion MPH...I'm just telling you my experience with my Maxxis tires. You can believe and do whatever you wish with your stuff. I would suggest YOU call up Maxxis tires and put the wood to them and see what they tell you. This story in Trailer Life was a public media article put out there in front of GOD and everyone....so what would you expect?

Froggy
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote