View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
I talked to someone at CW ... When I told them about the easy lube system he told me he had been in the business for 10 years and never heard of such a thing on RV’s; that that was something only used only on boat trailers.
I don't know where this "only for boat trailers" myth came from, but it has come up for years. The Dexter Axle web site says this:

"EZ LUBE OVERVIEW: A trailer running gear lubrication system that's simple to maintain and completely submersible with no disassembly required. Ideal for most towable axles including boat trailer applications. Dexter's E-Z Lube, bearing lubrication made quick and easy."

In other words, it is suitable for boat trailers, but not limited to boat trailers. I suspect that the myth comes from the fact that EZ-Lube spindle is more expensive than simple hand-lube assemblies (on etrailer.com, an EZ lube spindle is about twice the cost of a standard spindle). Therefore it is rarely found on trailers where selling price is paramount. At any rate, I'm a little distrustful of mechanics who repeat the myth as gospel.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote