View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
With my 2002 Tahoe needing a new head, we are using my wifes 2008 4.6 L Explorer. It's not quite as comfortable to sit in, but it's handling the trip well so far. I did have to replace the radiator (common problem) before we left.

Coolant temperatures tended to rise to 105 °C on grades. Even though temperatures could go safely above that, we turned the AC off, heat on and windows open. That usually brought the temperatures right down.

The transmission temperature got up to 219 F on the steepest grade leaving Oregon. Transmission flives [fluid?] takes a long time to cool. I'm pretty sure the Explorer has a separate transmission cooler. other than that, the temperature stayed between 185-200 F.
As an owner of a 2008 Ford Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer edition, I can attest to some good news and bad news.

The good news is it was a fantastic tow vehicle for our 3023 for exactly 1 year. The truck had 105k miles on it when I bought it, and did a fantastic job of getting us down to Fort Wilderness at Disney and some other great trips.

The bad news was the transmissions are a weak point, and after 1 year of relative trouble free performance, the truck starting throwing codes and stumbling and stalling. The culprit was the control module for the transmission, and the part ($1500) was back ordered nationally for 30 days (which clearly means I wasn't alone with this issue!). Plus replacing that didn't mean that the transmission itself wasn't an issue, so it was decision time.

I decided to trade it into Carmax while it was running OK, and find something else. I ended up with a 2005 Lexus GX470, and couldn't be happier.

We have a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid that has been fantastic, so I'm disappointed with the Ford Explorer and hope you do not have the same experience as I did.
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote