View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
P and B

Rich,
We kind of had the same idea, or at least my wife did. We observe the same things you do. One thing I think will have to change is the Class A industry or it simply will not survive. As you know, they use mainly existing chasis from existing buses and trucks. I don't think they worry about weight due mainly to the size of the engines they employ. The folks at Trail Manor are on the leading edge of designing lightweight systems. As you pointed out, it's one of the reasons we went this route. Our first RV was a Rockwood class C when gas was 1.50.

Truthfully, the industry will have to change or it will die. As far as storage goes though, I just don't think you'll be able to drag everything your used to having around with you anymore like some of these big diesel pushers can. I have altered my longer term view of retirement to have a much smaller home somewhere convenient and being able to travel with something like a TM but not being so financially tied to a Class A that I feel I have to be on the road all the time. The way I look at it is that you'll have to tow something- Class A you pull a small vehicle or TM, you just unhook it and use the TV. One problem solved.

Storage is indeed a problem but you can't have your cake and eat it too. It looks like we are all going to have to make compromises going forward.

Still think you made the right decision.

regards,

Phil