View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Info from another Explorer owner

This past Spring, we bought our TrailManor 2720SL. We pull it with our 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 w/SOHC V6. Perhaps, I can be some help to you.

For several years, before we bought our TrailManor, we owned several Coleman pop-up campers, including our last - a Mesa model weighing about 3,200 lbs. The TrailManor is much easier to tow, for several reasons:

- Our TM dealer agreed that we should add an Equal-I-zer hitch, due to the tongue weight of the TM. I had him install it, when we picked up our new TM (we already had a Class III hitch installed on our Explorer.).
- The sway-control feature adds safety, and I’m all for that.

Several things I have learned from experience, as well as from other RVers:

- DON’T drive in a lower gear, when towing. DO turn off overdrive. You will still get good gas mileage, and you won’t be straining the transmission or the engine.
- DO read your Explorer Owner Manual, for towing information and tips.
- DON’T drive at high speeds (over 60 mph). You’ll sacrifice gas mileage and safety, if you do. If we wanted to race, we’d try a ‘vette!
- On the way home from our dealer, I discovered that I could not see ANYTHING directly behind the TM. After reading several posts on this forum, I bought a set of McKesh mirrors. I use them every time we travel now (set at about 108” center-to-center) and have a clear view of EVERYTHING behind the TM (In some states, this is required.). And, backing into our parking spot at home is easier.
- Stop once in awhile and take a break, give your car one, too! Sometimes, the view is more than worth the time “wasted.”
- Every year, I have the Explorer’s transmission fluid checked, and every few years, I have it drained and the transmission serviced by my TRUSTED service department – NOT a transmission shop.
- I make sure the TV brakes and shocks are in top shape.
- If there is another, less stressful (for you and TV) to get where you are going, take it. See below.

We took our former pop-up to Arkansas, last year. I didn’t know the area and didn’t ask enough questions about the roads. Sometimes, it was very hilly and winding road; all I could do was pull into the truck lane, put on the flashers, and monitor the temperature gauge. I also was concerned about going DOWN some of those hills, once we went over the top. Coming back, we used a different route – a little longer, but straight and smooth. We will have to travel over the Shenandoah Mountains, on our way west. I already know a couple routes through the passes. When we go to Staunton, this Fall, I know a couple “rest areas” on Afton Mountain. See what I mean? Even though our TrailManor is easier to pull than our pop-up was, I still try to plan on taking the “path of least resistance,” when possible, and enjoying the trip.

I hope this information is helpful. Happy camping!

Virginia Deacon
2006 TrailManor 2720 SL
2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 w/SOHC V6 and Equal-I-Zer hitch
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote