View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
mtnguy

I concur with most of the information on this thread. But nothing that I have read yet has indicated that these tire failures were blow-outs vs. flat tires. Unless someone actually hears the “pop” of a blowout, how do we know that is what happened ??

Case in Point: While traveling I-40 last week, the couple that bought my TM were behind my SIL and DD, and noticed their trailer was leaning. When traffic allowed, they started to pull up beside the leaning trailer to see what might be going on, and a tire started throwing rubber their way. The alerted us via CB, and we were fortunate to pull off the shoulder of a little used entrance ramp. A Nascar type tire change occurred , and when my DD attempted to put the damaged tire back on the spare tire rack while my SIL and I completed the tire change, it was too hot for her to handle. That is what makes me think that it had been run flat for awhile. The sidewalls were shredded, but the thread was still mostly intact.

A couple of other points: This same tire had to be repaired several weeks previously because it was flat. I think either the plug didn’t hold, or it picked up another screw or nail, and just plan went flat. Even after the tire shredded, my SIL could not tell any difference in how the camper handled. A tire going low on the vehicles we ride in are pretty obvious. But a low tire on a towed vehicle is almost impossible to detect……unless there is a tire pressure monitoring system used.

Whether a tire failure is the result of a blow-out or just a flat tire still has the same result…..we are stuck somewhere changing a tire. If all of the precautions are taken, and the tire looks good at the last rest stop, there is nothing I can do to prevent a blowout. But, if a tire goes down gradually and is caught, then I might be able to change it out at a more convenient spot than beside of the highway before it gets to the point of heating up and shredding the sidewall. My SIL and DD have already got the information from me on my TPMS, and promise they will have a unit before there next trip.