View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Bell View Post
I'm trying to track down and fix a roof leak in my 3124 King TM as well. It is manifesting itself from the center roof trim near the back of the TM, but upon closer inspection, I think it is starting closer to the mid section of the TM. In other words, the main center seam needs to be recaulked along the back side of the trailer. I also noted, however, that one foot of the AC seems to overlap the center seam. So, having not gone up there yet and closely inspected, I'm trying to undersand 1) How do you seal that foot/center seam if it encroaches on the center seam, and 2) how would you know if it is the AC leaking vs the center seam (would the AC leak flow over to the center seam, or leak directly out of unit into interior?

I've read the discussion/debate on various sealers and asked the TM factory last week what they recommened. Current recommendation is a 100% silicone, and clear supposedly adheres a little better than the white. I will probably just use the silicone but I can understand the argument for using somthing stronger as well (fix it once and be done with it).
The seal for the AC unit takes place around the (approx) 12"x12" hole that the AC is mounted through. The "Leg" that you are referring to does not seal to the roof. That is just a removable shroud and should not be caulked to the roof. A certain amount of water travels under the AC shroud but should not pass past the foam rubber seal that the AC actually rests on.

If that seal is leaking (which is quite common), the water may enter the interior in different places. The water may run down past the top layer of aluminum, enter the foam core and travel across the bottom layer of aluminum and manifest itself as an interior leak nearly anywhere.

It seems to me that the AC unit should be removed periodically and that seal replaced maybe every few years, if you tow your trailer a lot. The seal is mainly effected by vibration. It's not effected by the Sun. Sitting should not effect the seal other than just drying out and cracking over time.