View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 05:47 AM   #37
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
If I understand correctly the stabilizers are supposed to be capable of 5K each!? Therefore I can't see why there should be any issue with supporting the TM on the front stabilizers, while the jack is retracted, providing the wheels are properly chocked.
You understand correctly, though it would be wise to confirm the rating on the manufacturer's web site. The common confusion on this point comes from using the word "stabilizers" instead of "jacks". Most trailers have stabilizers, which are designed to simply prevent rocking as you walk around in a trailer that is fully supported by its wheels and tongue jack. Stabilizers have very limited weight-carrying capacity. TM, on the other hand, has chosen to install real jacks on each corner.

For me, the biggest issue with the TM jacks is that the jack screw picks up a ton of road grime and sand and crud, which makes them hard to operate and limits their usable capacity. Grease only makes it worse - dry-lube spray is a better choice. Still, I find that before a trip, it is a good idea to run the jacks up and down with no weight on them, while holding a wire brush against the threads. I use an electric to turn them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote