View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

WildWG wrote
Quote:
A question for those who have replaced the pressure/temperature relief valve in your TM water heater. How do you get the thing out, what tool did you use?
You should never have to remove the P/T valve unless there is a failure (i.e., excessive weeping). Failures do occasionally occur, but no more often than they occur in your home water heater. Have you had a failure? If so, the answer (as others have suggested) is just a big wrench and a lot of torque. BTW, one way to stave off a failure, either at home or in the TM, is to trip the valve (lift the lever) a couple times a year and let a whoosh of water flow out. This clears any grit form the valve sealing surfaces, and keeps the seals a bit flexible.

Re draining the water heater, pbuck has it exactly right. Draining is easy - use the four valves hanging down under the trailer. See the thread titled "Drain Valves" for more detail. Every couple years, you might unscrew the sacrificial anode and replace it, but this is not a critically timed thing.

I hate to disagree with Speckul8r, who is quite knowledgable, but I haven't seen a reference to removing the anode plug as a winterizing measure. In a TM, there are no "winterizing measures" needed, other than draining the entire water system, as outlined in the manual, and removing the outdoor shower head. In particular, DON'T pay for a water heater bypass kit - it is NOT NEEDED.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote