View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Jim&Joan

Default Not the city

...the leak was where the shower hose connected to the output of the mixing valve. It was not even finger tight. Someone had been in there before, the caulking was heavy and looked like somebody was making a peanut butter sandwich by the way it was applied, so I decided to look around today. There are also two sets of screw holes thru the outer trailer wall. Tow holes in each corner close to each other, but not breaking into each other.

I pulled the shower hose all the way out. It was kinked so bad right at the connection behind the enclosure that no water would have been able to come thru. It was kinked in a couple of other places. I don't see how the hose could be pushed behind the enclosure without kinking it. And there is not enough room in the enclosure to coil it up and store the shower head.

I removed the hose from the elbow on the mixing valve output. I scribed the caulk around the box, removed the four mounting screws and pulled the box out as far as it would scoot. I was able to loosen the supply line nuts from the rear and completely remove the box. I have cleaned all the caulk off the box and outer trailer wall.

I went to the hardware store and got a 1/2"x1/2" elbow to connect to the back of the mixing valve elbow (where the hose use to connect). I put a 2" long 1/2" nipple in that elbow to stick thru the enclosure cutout into the area that the shower wand was stored. I put a 1/2" to 3/4" flat bushing on that. So, now I can connect a regular garden hose fitting to that.

I will look around to see if I can find an adapter that will let me put a hand held shower hose on that, but have no plan to try and store that mess in there. I also may play around with putting a quick connect fitting on which may require a shorter nipple to keep it inside the door area. I'll post a few pictures when I make up my mind.

I also saw that you can reorient the shower head sholding bracket 90 deg. so gravity will hold the shower head the way it was meant (since the shower box in my unit was designed to be mounted primarily horizontal, but is mounted vertical on mine.)

Oh, and we still aren't out of the driveway! Several parks are closed in a 150 mile radius due to rain, some flooded, some with boil water orders. We went to a close park this morning and there was one site, but the host said we had to leave a vehicle (couldn't pay and run home and back with the trailer.) Guess we should have been more optimistic and just towed it on out there with us. We decided to just take advantage of being able to tinker a bit and stow some gear in it for the near future. But, I am getting ansy! The current joke is that I have moved it more by hand than by TV.