View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Jim&Joan

Default New (to us) owner's of 2720SL

Introducing ourselves to the community.
We just purchased an '04 2720SL, swing hitch, AC, Fiamma.
From original owners that garage stored it.

Tent campers and previous backpackers now living in Missouri.
One daughter in college and one is SR in HS, so we will primarily use DW/DH.

We have found this forum to be very valuable both during our research and our post purchase. We looked at a couple of newer units but the price was too close to just buying a new one which was more than we could decide to do. Got very lucky and found a used but well cared for model local. The swing hitch was a MUST for us. One of the newer ones would have had to be mod'd which didn't help the cost issue.

The owner was cooperative in accompanying us to a local campground with hookups to do a check out. All of the advice and checklists here were put to good use. So, with thermometers, voltmeters, tools and check lists in hand, we spent the better part of a day pulling, leveling, setting up and running the various systems.

Everything checked out well with a couple of exceptions. Couldn't get the frig to burn on propane and there was an external leak at the rear streetside. We and the owner made a couple of calls (TM and dealer) on issues. We were satisfied we understood the risks and negotiate an adjustment to our 'working agreement'.

Since purchase...

Of course substantial cleaning mostly interior and some exterior has taken place. Dry Clean estimate for drapes was extreme plus advice that vinyl strip wouldn't survive, led to gentle cycle wash and sweater rack drying. Removed mattress cover for wash tub and line dry.

Much of the discussion and links for the connection issues related to the thermocouple were key in resolving the frig on propane. We have run it several times in the drive way.

Removed and replace the anode rod. Source of much amusement as DW can not bring herself to pronounce it correctly. (Comes out AN-noid or A-nod-oid.) It was pretty deteriorated, but not totaled, and the tank flushing was needed.

During the water heater maintenance, I convinced myself that the water leak is coming from the external shower hose fitting at the trailer side. I can see it dripping under city water pressure behind the bib cutout. That whole setup seems silly and from the look of the caulking around the bib, it has been out before.

LP smell led to removing, cleaning, and teflon taping hose connection to the LP regulator. Filled tank. (One has lots in it.)

Need to grease bearings and verify brake adjustment.
Need to spot caulk in areas.
Need to attempt to clean some leaf stains from awning 'fabric'.
Need to glue some of the internal velcro back to the wall.
Need to bake some choclate chip cookies in the oven.

TMH (TrailManor Hanger) related -
I have pretty much rebuilt the garage storage. Removing old shelves and installing stud mounted shelves to get the storage up high. Before we had Van, PU, yard tools, blower and 37' mower in the garage along with usual hazmat jugs and cans. Now, TM, PU, and most of the rest of the tools and hazmat. Right now the van and mower are out and I had to move a few scuba tanks to the basement. Got rid of some items being kept just cause we had the space.

We have tried to get out of the driveway two times but to our surprise the local campgrounds have been booked (we didn'[t make reservations.) We had plans for this weekend and were just called by the state park to inform us they were closing due to local river flooding. We did a driveway camp last weekend and cooked and slept in it. I think I have moved it more by hand than I have by TV so far!