Thread: Chains on 2619
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
grakin

Default Chains on 2619

I'm going to be doing some significant travels this winter, through pretty cold country (including Canada).

I'm a pretty cautious driver, and I'm used to snow and ice (but not while pulling a trailer). I know what to do for the truck itself - depending on where I go, studded snow tires plus carrying some chains (did I mention I commute over a mountain pass every day I work at the office?). I know the last place I want to be is on an extremely slick road, even if I have chains, studs, or whatever else, so I'm definitely going to have a bias towards remaining in dry, safe areas to risking my life to make it over a mountain - but I'd like to be prepared in case the storm finds me rather than the other way around.

I've never even thought about pulling a trailer in winter. I don't even think I'd want to risk cable chains on the trailer, I think they'd rip that plastic piece on the side of the wheel well right off. So that begs the next question: Does someone make studded snow tires for trailers with an appropriate weight rating? I'd probably buy a set of rims for them, so they don't have to be the exact same size as the factory tires, as long as they would fit under my factory-lifted 2619.

Related to this, is the ice build-up in the wheel wells going to rip those plastic covers to pieces? Am I nuts for thinking I can take the trailer out this winter?