View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

live4fun,

You might want to refer to your vehicle's Owner's Manual. It's a wealth of knowledge.

I may be wrong but I believe that Honda does not recommend a WDH. A lot of that may have to do with it being uni-body construction. It also may be due to Honda's unique computerized steering and brake stabilization control.

I had a bad braking experience with our Honda Ridgeline and I eventually sold it. I could not stop the rig (towing the TM) in an emergency stop, entered the intersection on a red light and nearly caused an accident (totally my fault).

I have towed TMs for 15 years with a variety of vehicles (mostly Chevy 1/2T trucks) and never had anything remotely like that happen. It seemed like the Honda slowed very slowly and would never come to a stop. I bought an Anderson WDH and test drove the Honda at that same intersection, same speed (40mph), same weight. The road is a moderate downhill grade with a stop light at the bottom. Both times the Prodigy brake controller was properly set and the trailer brakes did their job. On this test run, the Honda stopped in what I felt was an appropriate distance. However, I had already lost my confidence in the vehicle.

Do some research on towing with a WDH with the Ridgeline. Try to stick to more professional websites and stay away from opinionated forums. I doubt you will ever find a Honda owner (with or without a WDH) that will say that they made a mistake in their decision.