View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
EAKlebe

grakin wrote:
your F150 probably has a harness for it under the dash somewhere (assuming you have the towing package), which means it literally just screws into some piece of the dash and plugs into the harness - no advanced technical knowledge is needed.
If not, you might want to look at things like a transmission cooler. Hopefully your tow vehicle does have it. Also make sure you have LT tires, not P tires, on your truck.

I bought the truck used. It had a Reese hitch receiver installed, but I don't believe it has a transmission cooler. I'll have to get that checked by the mechanic I use. As to tires: I just had new tires put on: General Grabbers and I'm sure they are LTs.

Re the controller: according to an email I just got from the factory:
The new controller doesn’t require leveling, Edmund. You can mount it anywhere on or under the dash.

Reading the company write up on this controller, you set this controller up by just entering the "trailer - tow vehicle configuration number based upon the weight of the combination." and once set it doesn't have to be reset unless the weight of the trailer changes by more than 2000 pounds.
I read in a posting about setting up the Tekonsha Prodigy controller (perhaps I got the wrong impression) that one had to drive the combination at various speeds and apply the brakes to determine the proper power/gain setting - it sounded like a bit of a complicated process. Is it?