View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Joan View Post
Good point on the bed load. When measured and then loaded and had the squatting, I had a pretty good load in the bed with 2 sets of steel double tanks, an aluminum tank, full set of tech dive gear; all on top of clothing, tools, food and drinks. I manage the load as logically as possible, but getting the doubles in and out from too far forward is too difficult. So the doubles stay behind the rear wheels.

I ran into the wheel problem when folding up. I couldn't get the jack wheel off til I loaded the WD bars. I don't try to get all I can out of the WD for two reasons. One is to minimize transferring too much weight to the trailer tires. The other is that with a swing hitch, I notice that in a slow manuevering turn, the swing hitch pin interfers with the WD bar on the street side.

After a couple more shortish trips I hope we feel we have things worked out load/supply wise that I will get some axle weight measurements and get a quantitative idea of what loading the WD is moving.
I know loading those doubles in the front is a PITA, but it would really help with weight distribution. The few times that I have traveled with scuba equipment, I have the tanks, weights and gear right up there next to the cab, along with my generator (80 lbs), firewood, and anything else really heavy as close a feasible towards the front of the truck. My empty tote (which I seldom use), bike gear and other light stuff then goes toward the rear of the bed. Inconvenient???......yes, but that means I don't have to tighten down that WDH as much.

BTW.....I have never dove with doubles......I don't think I could even stand up with those puppies on.