View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Smile Goodyear now "allows" speeds over 65 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
The tires on TM's and other trailers are not designed for prolonged high speed towing...that is over 60 mph. 65 is the top recommended towing speed....
Your info APPEARS to be out of date, Goodyear does now allow for higher speeds at higher PSI (up to 10 PSI over the stamped max on the sidewall):
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

But you've experienced tire blow-out, I haven't. And I have the big Goodyears on the big axle-- 2619 and 2720 models on the standard 14" wheels and tires are running real close to the max load of the "C"-rated tires, I'd be a bit reticent about cranking them up to 60 PSI and driving fast when they're loaded heavily.

I was VERY concerned about the standard 2619/2720 models being built to ride near the limit of the tires all the time, so I ordered my 2619 specially-built with the big axle, big wheels, and far more capable "D"-rated 15" tires.

I'd NEVER recommend doing the "high speed, over-the-sidewal-spec PSI" trick in hot weather, on hot pavement, on the 14" tires. Even if Goodyear says it's OK, I don't like the idea at all.
- - - - -

I think that one of us, a 2720 owner, has "upgraded" to big wheels and tires onto the standard (3500 lb) Dexter axle, and feels that it was successful. I know that RockyMntRay was planning to send his 2720 back to the factory for a full upgrade (axle and everything, to be just like my 2619), but recently needed to cancel his appt. IIRC, UtahSue had the factory build her TM with the 5000 lb axle, just like I did.

With the really strong tires, we have to reduce the air pressure a lot to avoid excessive bouncing and shaking. Goodyear provides tables for doing this, I read off the table and then add 5-10 PSI, usually ending up at about 45-50. (The tires are capable of 65 PSI.) I drive pretty quickly in NV, where Trailers and OTR Trucks are allowed to go at the full posted speed. (In CA, the law says we've got to stay much slower.) So basically, I've always followed the new PDF rules: I have a few extra PSI, less than 10, and drive a few MPH above 65 when road and weather conditions are suitable.

Anyone looking for more on this particular subject can Use "search" to find Threads and Posts about 15" wheels and tires on small TM models, there have been lots of them