View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Jim-NY

Susyn,

From the above messages and reading the link that Bill provided it would appear that your TM can be adjusted to work for you. I am pretty confident that it will work, but if it doesn't there are other options.

In my opinion your physical strength is not going be a problem, your lack of weight is. I doubt you want to go on an eating binge and gain weight yourself, but you could hang a weight of some kind on the stirrup as you close it. A filled water jug would do. 3 gallons will bring your weight up to mine. My 165 lbs and a small bounce will close my 2720SL without a problem. That is almost a worst-case scenario because my torsion bars are adjusted so it almost opens by itself but closes harder.

If you are boondocking and use up your water, you may have something else heavy you will be taking along anyhow like a small generator that could be suspended from the stirrup.

Better yet, you could store some heavy stuff in a backpack and just put it on when you take the TM down.

Now let me digress. You are wise to make sure you can do it by yourself for all the reasons you mentioned. On the other hand, even if you don’t need it, I suggest you consider welcoming help when it is offered. I am not saying this represents you, but I have observed employees of mine, of both genders, who for there own reasons avoid asking for help. If I asked if I could help, they would respond saying they could do it by themselves. I usually knew that they could do it by themselves, but it was also obvious that it would be easier with my help. Many people like myself get a kick out of being able to help others. You could make their day. It’s also a good way to meet people. Some of them will turn out to be interesting and may add to your enjoyment of the RV lifestyle experience.

Jim