View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default I regularly use my TM as a mobile office

The previous posts on this thread have pretty well summed the situation. I'll add just a few comments about using the trailer as mobile office. First, I should explain that I'm a self-employed software developer so I can...and do...work anywhere I want and pretty much whenever I want. Accordingly I take my laptop on most of my trips and do a couple of hours of work in the morning or evening and then spend the rest of the day outside hiking/biking/kayaking/etc. My TM is the 2720SL, the living room of which is virtually identical to the living room area of the 3326K. Now to your specific office type questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galyna

4) Appealing features of this particular layout are the two expanding tables by the sofa. Those would be ideal places for us to set up our laptops and get to work. How sturdy are the tables? Will they support a laptop, paperwork, and maybe a drink? And when both are opened out, is there any space between them? Clearing the surface and lowering the table every time we need to get a new file or a drink seems a bit annoying to me.
I regularly setup both of the front side tables on arrival and leave them setup during my entire stay. They are indeed sufficiently sturdy for eating or holding the laptop, cell phone, various chargers, etc. As a fairly tall/trim (34 inch inseam/33 inch waist) and very physically fit guy, I have zero problem slipping through the roughly 18 inch gap between the tables or getting off/on the couch. So I personally don't think there's any reason to drop either table just to go get a drink or whatever.

That being said, even I find the tables are a bit far from the couch to use as a worksurface if you are seated on the couch. So when I'm ready to go to work, I sit in the overstuffed chair and literally use my laptop as a laptop computer. I find this a very comfy way to get software written.
Quote:

5) Is there available floorspace to add a very small folding table or a 2-drawer filing cabinet? We need some place to organize and store whatever we're working on.
Yes, if you don't get the optional 2nd chair or chest, there's a decently sizable empty area between the trailer door and door-side fold down table on the slide. I bought a pair of low cabinets to go here...they hold extra pantry items, have a drawer for "stuff", and the tops provide a good place to plunk my outdoor gear such as backpacks. You could easily fit a 2-drawer file cabinet there.

However...very, very important however...anything you put there has to be light enough or small enough to be moved into the center of the trailer when you fold up for travel and push the front slide in. Always keep in mind that nearly all of the spacious "living room" virtually disappears when that front slide is pushed in for travel. When you do visit a dealer, ask to see how much floor area is lost when the front slide on a 2720SL, 3124KS, or 3326K is pushed in.

A final note...as Bill mentioned above, if you're thinking Grand Cherokee (with V8) or the new full sized Commander when you say "jeep", then a 3326 is a doable size, even in the mountains. But if you're thinking Liberty (or Wrangler) or the old regular Cherokee, then think again. The smaller Jeeps simply don't have enough wheelbase or torque to handle the long and heavy 3326.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote