View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
moaboy

There has been and I suspect always will be two schools of thought on this forum. One is those who tow their TM's with a larger TV who's capacity significantly exceeds the minimum threshold. (However we define that). They tend to be more tolerant of lower gas mileage, want more freedom to carry what they want and simply prefer to tow in a truck vs a lighter vehicle. They may already own a truck.
The second camp, use TV's that are closer to the capacities -but in my experience not over them-are more sensitive to gas mileage, restrict or modify what they carry, and perhaps do not want to buy what many would consider a more traditional TV -as the TM company themselves suggests as a selling point.
Both camps care a lot about safety and being responsible on the road.

Seems our new friend unwittingly stepped into the middle of that debate in the question he first raised. If one is interested he can search the forum and review our past discussions concerning "appropriate TV's." If you like some spicey rhetoric and strong feelings it is the place to go-at least on this forum....

To the question, within limits, I'd suggest there are a number of modifications that can be made to a TM, not that they will necessarily get you the margin of safety you need. One can also not add much weight depending on how far you want to take that, by doing without items or being sensitive to what you add. I'd suspect you want to take more than your toothbrush. As an example I use a good quality back packing kit for my pots and pans. This has worked well for us, but others may not be happy camping without their favorite 5 lb solid iron skillet.

So welcome to all that want to learn more about TM's. I hope you get one AND join our forum!