View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Dchisenh

Good morning ATHiker!

It's funny you mention both TMs and Casitas because that was the choice I had whittled my options down to as well. Obviously, you hit the nail on the head why, ease of towing and retention of value. They're both marketed towards folks who want a camper but cannot afford a traditional-sized one, but they have their clear differences. Now, just a disclaimer, I haven't physically been inside a Casita myself, but I have done quite a bit of research on them.

A Casita has an advantage in that it is more 'sealed' within its fiberglass shell, where a TM uses flaps and seals. It also comes with a small black tank as opposed to the recirculating Thetford in a TM.

I consider their ease of towing, resale value, insulation ability, and supportive fan base a draw.

Now, this is where the TM takes the cake: Floor space. Even the smallest TM opens up into a bigger footprint than the largest Casita. Combine that with the dedicated bed, larger bathroom, actual counter space to prepare food, and greater floor plan options...the TM wins hands down in my book!

I'd suggest that you do some looking around and find a few Casitas and a few TMs to look at and decide which one you would rather spend more time in and which suits your needs the best.

Good luck in your search!

-Dan

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
w/tow package, Tekonsha Prodigy P2, and
Pro Series RB3 Weight Distribution System
Round Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 750 lbs TW
Dchisenh is offline   Reply With Quote