View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #19
mntlblok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Lisa
Just out of curiosity, what other hard sided travel trailers have you found that will fit in your garage besides a TM? You also mention that the TM is heavier. I just thought of one, the little A frame hard side pop ups - chalet or something like that. If possible see if you can spend a night in each of your finalist at the dealers. You would be surprised how much your opinion of what is Okay can change after a few hours in one.
Bill
From my first post : Soon to be Chalet XL 1930 or Chalet Arrowhead or Aliner LXE or Aliner Cabin A3 or Hi-Lo Towlite 1706T (probably not) or Trailmanor 2619 owner.

The Aliner Cabin A is one piece and fairly ugly looking, but it clears the garage door by one inch. I *think* it can be made to sleep more than 2 in the Model 3. The other "A-shaped" contraptions, even the smallest ones made, would be plenty for me. The teardrops that would fit in the garage are too short.

I understand the space concerns of a "normal" person, but when I spent a couple of weeks volunteering over in Waveland, MS, right after Katrina hit, I took a couple of the seats out of my minivan and slept in there for the first few nights. If it hadn't been so dern hot, I woulda been fine.

DW is small enough, at 5ft. and 93lbs., that I can just pick her up and move her if she gets in the way, but I suppose she wouldn't mind having a bit more space in an RV. Actually, if I'm gonna get permission to buy this thing, it looks like I'm going to have to go with the 2619.

A motel room or an RV is mostly just a place to sleep for my style of traveling. We'll mostly be taking it to tennis tournaments, maybe some hiking in the mountains, and probably some scuba trips to the Keys. The tournament sites have showers, but I do like having the option of bathroom and shower on board if needed/desired. Most trips will be of the long weekend variety - which we are fortunate enough to be able to do *a lot*.

I also like the idea of the "handiness" of Walmart-type parking lots - never far from the tournament site. And, I plan to acquire one of those quiet generators - and would even were I to end up with one of the tinier foldups.

Hadn't considered the rainy day thing. Even the satellite dish would likely be a washout in that case. I do have a large stack of magazines that I've been meaning to get around to, and there's always all those digital photos that I will have taken that will need some work on the laptop.

I got serious today with pricing them and it looks like I can get a new 2006 2619 locally for 21K, with awning/kite, AC, swivel hitch, microwave, and even the microwave drawer thrown in (snatched from another model on the lot). Are the hanging cabinet and 3-drawer dresser options on the 2619? Am I likely to do significantly better on the price? There is definitely significant value in my mind in having a local dealer and not having to drive six or eight hours and back to buy it.

Thanks, again for the help and the suggestions.

Kevin